Storm Desmond: Engineers battle to restore power to 43,000 homes
8 December 2015
From the section UK
Media captionResidents in Brunton Avenue, Carlisle, show the BBC’s Ed Thomas through their flooded homes
Engineers are battling to reconnect more than 43,000 homes left without power in the wake of Storm Desmond.
Electricity North West said it hoped to restore supply to 42,000 people in Lancashire from 08:00 GMT, and its teams were also working “tirelessly” to reconnect 1,450 homes in Cumbria.
Thousands of people have left flooded homes, and more rain is expected this week across the north of the UK.
There are 16 severe flood warnings, indicating danger to life, in place.
Storm Desmond battered north-west England, as well as parts of Northern Ireland, north Wales and southern Scotland, over the weekend.
Record-breaking amounts of rain fell in Cumbria – the worst-hit county – prompting it to declare a major incident.
On Monday night, Electricity North West said 1,450 properties in Cumbria, mostly in Carlisle, and 42,000 across Lancaster, Morecambe, Heysham and Carnforth, were without power.
Almost all of the homes that lost power in Lancashire had been reconnected after an initial failure, but lost power again shortly afterwards.
Source:: BBC UK