BBC denies Clarkson invited back to Top Gear
19 June 2015
From the section Entertainment & Arts
Clarkson, 55, was sacked from his role as the host of Top Gear in March
The BBC has denied it invited Jeremy Clarkson back as host of Top Gear, months after he was axed from the job.
Clarkson told the Sun, for whom he writes a regular column, that an unnamed BBC executive had “asked if I’d come back to Top Gear” last week.
But Clarkson said he refused: “It would have been impossible to make the show I’d want to make,” he said.
The BBC has named Chris Evans as the new host. A spokesman said: “We haven’t offered another Top Gear contract.”
“The BBC had placed on record its thanks to Jeremy for his broadcasting on the programme and wish him well for the future.”
Clarkson, who was sacked for punching a Top Gear producer in March, told the Sun that returning to the Top Gear role “was never an option”.
Chris Evans will replace Clarkson on the motoring show, with open auditions taking place for his co-hosts
“Too much has gone on. After I’d been compared to Jimmy Savile by someone from the BBC and it was splashed all over a Sunday newspaper, how could I go back?,” he said.
“The spotlight …read more
Source:: BBC Entertainment