Clarkson was suspended after a “fracas” with a BBC producer
An online petition calling for the BBC to “reinstate” Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been signed by more than 300,000 people.
Clarkson, 54, was suspended after a “fracas” with a BBC producer thought to work on the show.
Sunday’s episode of Top Gear will not be shown, and it is understood the two final episodes in the series will also be dropped.
The petition was started on Tuesday by political blogger Guido Fawkes.
It reached the 250,000 mark by mid-morning on Wednesday.
At around the same time, Clarkson’s retweeted a message to his 4.5m Twitter followers from a Top Gear viewer which read: “How can BBC not show the remaining episodes of Top Gear, can’t this be resolved without making the fans suffer?”
Earlier, he exchanged suggestions on Twitter with Top Gear co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May about films that could be aired in place of the Sunday’s planned episode.
Top Gear is presented by James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson
BBC News special correspondent Lucy Manning said sources had confirmed reports Clarkson was suspended for “allegedly hitting a producer”.
“The incident is believed to have happened last week, but was reported to the BBC on Monday and dealt with on Tuesday,” she said.
“The next two episodes of Top Gear will not be broadcast and it’s understood that a third programme, the final of the series, is unlikely to be transmitted.”
The Daily Mirror has named the producer involved in the alleged incident, which it said took place after filming in Newcastle over a lack of catering. The BBC said it had no comment to make on the report.
Clarkson’s suspension was announced in a BBC statement …read more
Source:: BBC Entertainment