9 April 2015
From the section Entertainment & Arts
Jeremy Clarkson has hosted the satirical news quiz several times
Jeremy Clarkson has pulled out of his planned appearance as guest host of the BBC show Have I Got News For You.
He had been due to appear on 24 April in his first BBC appearance since being dropped as a co-presenter of Top Gear, following an attacked on a producer.
Clarkson has hosted the satirical news quiz on numerous occasions.
Jimmy Mulville, managing director of show producers Hat Trick Productions, said he expected Clarkson to be available for a show later in the year.
Mr Mulville said: “”On reflection, Jeremy Clarkson has decided not to host Have I Got News For You. We fully expect him to resume his hosting duties later in the year.”
Clarkson was suspended by the BBC on 10 March following what was described at the time as a “fracas” with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon in a hotel in North Yorkshire.
An internal investigation found Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an “unprovoked physical and verbal attack” that resulted in swelling and bleeding to his lip.
Following the investigation, on 25 March the BBC announced Clarkson’s contract on Top Gear would not be renewed.
More than a million fans signed a petition to reinstate the presenter, but BBC director general Tony Hall said “a line has been crossed” and “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another”.
The BBC has said Top Gear will continue without Clarkson, however it is unclear whether co-presenters James May and Richard Hammond will remain.
The new series of Have I Got News For You begins on Friday with actor Daniel Radcliffe as the guest host.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone …read more
Source:: BBC Entertainment