A childbirth charity has apologised to expectant parents after their registration details were accessed in a “data breach”.
The National Childbirth Trust (NCT) sent a message saying their email addresses, usernames and passwords had been “compromised”.
The incident has been reported to police and the UK’s data watchdog.
The NCT stressed no other information had been accessed. It has not yet said how many users have been affected.
A spokesman said: “NCT has suffered a data breach which, regrettably, has caused some users of our website to have their registration details compromised.
“These details are limited to their email address, username and an encrypted version of the password that they created to register on the site.
“We stress that no financial or personal details are held as part of this data so no financial or personal details have been accessed.
“We discovered the breach (on Wednesday), upon which we contacted everyone affected advising them of the breach and suggesting that they change their username and passwords.”
The charity, based in London’s Euston Square, supports hundreds of thousands of new and expectant parents.
In the email to parents chief executive Nick Wilkie said: “While your password is encrypted, as a precaution, I would advise you to change any password as soon as possible for other accounts or registrations that use these details.
“We discovered the breach today, are reporting the matter to the police and Information Commissioner and contacting all who are affected immediately.”
Source:: BBC world news feed