Tunisia attack: Injured Britons flown home by RAF
30 June 2015
From the section UK
The plane carrying injured Britons landed at Birmingham Airport before flying on to RAF Brize Norton
Four British tourists seriously injured in the Tunisian beach attack have been flown back to the UK by the RAF.
Up to 18 UK citizens have been confirmed dead, and it is feared the number will rise to about 30.
The government says all those hurt at the resort near Sousse on Friday will be brought home in the coming hours.
The Tunisia authorities have arrested several people on suspicion of helping the gunman, who had links to the jihadist group Islamic State.
A team of British consular staff was on the ground in Tunisia within hours of the attack, and are currently helping victims and their families.
The four injured Britons returned on a specially-modified RAF C17 transport plane which left Brize Norton in Oxfordshire for Tunisia on Monday afternoon. Medics experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas were on board.
The Ministry of Defence said the plane flew into Birmingham airport, where one of the patients was taken off, before it continued to Brize Norton.
The MoD said it was working with NHS England to arrange “patients’ onward moves once they’re back in the UK to take each person to the best hospital in their area for their needs”.
Tunisia beach attack: The victims
The names of those killed in the attack are slowly emerging. Here’s what we know so far about those who lost their lives, as well as those who are injured and missing.
Some survivors have also been speaking out about their ordeal
A national minute’s silence will take place on Friday at 12:00 BST, a week …read more
Source:: BBC UK