Tap water restored to 80,000 homes after parasite alert
27 August 2015
From the section Lancashire
The warning was issued after traces of the bug were found at Franklaw water treatment works near Preston
Tap water in 80,000 homes in Lancashire has been declared safe to drink, after the discovery of a parasite at a treatment works left residents boiling water for three weeks.
Parts of Blackpool, Chorley and Preston got the all clear from 18:00 BST, United Utilities said.
The microbial parasite cryptosporidium was found on 6 August.
Water was treated with ultra violet light to kill the bug.
United Utilites said it had assessed hundreds of test results after discussions with Public Health England.
Source:: BBC UK