Tunisia attack: British victims to be repatriated
30 June 2015
From the section UK
Patients were cared for by medics experienced at bringing injured soldiers back to the UK
Britons killed by a gunman in last week’s Tunisian beach attack will start being repatriated on Wednesday, Downing Street has said.
Twenty-one Britons have been identified as victims, with nine more believed to among the dead, it added.
The repatriation process is expected to take several days and will be followed by a joint inquest into the deaths of all the British victims.
All seriously injured Britons have now been flown out of Tunisia.
The RAF flew the last four of the seriously injured back to the UK on Tuesday and they are now in hospital undergoing treatment.
Tunisian authorities have arrested several people on suspicion of helping the gunman Seifeddine Rezgui, who had links to the jihadist group Islamic State (IS).
Rezgui, a 23-year-old student, was shot dead by police.
Downing Street has ruled out a British inquiry into last Friday’s attack, saying British police would assist the Tunisian investigation.
The government was “working closely” with victims’ families and has offered to fly the bodies by RAF plane to Brize Norton in Oxfordshire before taking them home, Downing Street said.
The joint inquest will be opened by the West London coroner, it added.
There is currently a team of 27 people in Tunisia, from the Foreign Office, the Ministry of Defence and the police, working on security.
The four injured Britons returned on a specially modified RAF C17 transport plane which had left Brize Norton in Oxfordshire for Tunisia on Monday afternoon.
Medics experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas were on board.
The Ministry of Defence said the plane had flown into Birmingham Airport, where one patient …read more
Source:: BBC UK