Claudia Winkleman relives Halloween fire that injured daughter
13 May 2015
From the section Entertainment & Arts
Claudia Winkleman missed several weeks of the last series of Strictly to be with her daughter
Strictly Come Dancing presenter Claudia Winkleman has spoken for the first time about the serious injuries her daughter suffered in a Halloween costume fire.
Matilda, eight, was left with severe burns when her costume caught fire at a neighbour’s house in London last year.
“We couldn’t put her out,” Winkleman told the BBC’s Watchdog programme. “Her tights had melted into her skin.”
Matilda is beginning to recover after several operations but her surgeon is calling for fire safety laws to change.
It was not like fire I had seen beforeClaudia Winkleman
Accident statistics show that 94 people in England were admitted to hospital as a result of their clothing either igniting or melting last year, of which 21 were children under 18.
Jorge Leon-Vallapalos, who treated Matilda at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, said there was “a mini epidemic” of paediatric burn injuries “in certain periods of the year”.
“If you take into consideration that, in any child, the thickness of the skin is much, much less than in any adult, you will need a much less amount of thermal injury over a reduced period of time to cause a larger amount of damage.”
In an interview with BBC One’s Watchdog programme, to be screened on Thursday, Winkleman describes how she bought her daughter a witch’s costume in a local supermarket for “five quid” last October.
It caught fire at a neighbour’s house while the family were out trick-or-treating.
Claudia Winkleman …read more
Source:: BBC Entertainment